if you know me at all, you know i'm an avid thrift store shopper. it's always hard for me to resist buying record albums, with their cool covers and the smell of vinyl always makes me happy. but alas i no longer have a record player and after moving 18 times and crating heavy box after heavy box of albums up stairs and into u-hauls-i've given up my collection. lots of these albums went to friends who still play vinyl but other i turned into bowls. here's how...
DIY tutorial: how to make bowls from record albums
RECORD ALBUM BOWLS
what you need:
bowl to mold the album into
oven safe bowl
what to do:
1. heat the oven to 200 degrees
2. place the oven safe bowl upside down on the cookie sheet and put the album on top of the bottom of the bowl. put everything in the pre-heated oven for about 3 minutes or until you see the sides of the album start to droop. (don't leave it in too long or it will start to emit stinky toxic fumes)
3. once the album is pliable take it out and set it in your other bowl. (don't dilly dally as the album will start to harden immediately!)
4. place it in the bowl and press down in the center so the sides start to curve, use your hands to help mold it into shape.
5. let the album sit in the bowl for about 10 minutes so it can set.
6. use your new rock'n'roll bowl for anything except food!